Jun 25, 2010

Midsummer



For the first time since 1995, the year we first moved to Sweden, I have had the opportunity to celebrate the Midsummer holiday here. I decided to experience one of the shortest nights of the year by watching the sunset and the sunrise from the same spot. For that purpose, I found a cape facing north some 150 km north of Stockholm.

The sun set at 22.45 and rose again at 3.15. I spent the time in between by gathering some wood, making a fire and taking a bath in the see. The night never got really dark and one could always see all the surrounding objects. The only place I needed to use the torch was inside an abandoned bunker, once probably an anti-air fire point, that I found near the cape edge.

Apart from failing to sleep in the night and being very tired, I am glad to have made such an experience.

No comments: