Mar 15, 2010

Inheritance



Finally, on page 583, my C++ textbook arrived at inheritance. It was somewhat confusing to wait for so long. After all, inheritance is supposed to be one of the most useful concepts of an object-oriented language. Once I learned Java, it was introduced much earlier.

Another thing that confused me was the possibility of multiple inheritance in C++. I still recall my Java textbook devoting a whole section to explain why there is no practical way to implement it. And still, C++ does, being, by the way, older than Java. Well, it not like I was unable to imagine a textbook to lie... I can even understand their good intent. Instead of introducing a concept and in the next section declaring it deplicated, useless or just bag programming style (C++ does is all the time), they tried to deny the very existence of the concept. But I am still somewhat confused and... well... disappointed...

No comments: